Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Business of Being Born!

Thank you Nick and Jamie for telling me about this wonderful film! I was so thrilled to see Ina May Gaskin and Michel Odent in this film. I was thrilled beyond belief to see a documentary that says EVERYTHING that women need to hear about birth and medicine. It talks about everything I used to teach in my childbirth classes. I became a nurse to become a midwife. In the end I left obstetrical nursing because I just felt like it was such a losing battle against the medical model. Yet even so I still feel very passionate these issues and am so thrilled that some people are still carrying the torch. I hope some day that the U.S. will get back on track with the way births are meant to be. We need to take birth away from medicine!! The Business of Being Born a film EVERY WOMAN should see.

2 comments:

Jamie Onken said...

I'm glad you liked the film. It was very eye opening for Nick and I.

Queen Bee said...

What I find so shocking is that nothing has changed since I used to teach. The arguments are exactly the same on both sides, and on the side of medicine the C-Section rate and mortality and morbidity rates continue to climb. It's really sad how few women are really listening.