Monday, November 03, 2008

Birthday Blessings

I had a lovely birthday weekend. It started with Martin taking me and the family (well, part of the family: Nick, Jamie, Andrew, Chelsea & Trenton) to Gladstones for dinner. I got to hold my baby for a LONG time! And Martin surprised me with an iPhone!! I am having a ton of fun learning how to operate it. Nick and Jamie gave me exactly what I asked for: a small brag book with real photos of my grandbaby to show off. After dinner Martin and I drove to Idyllwild up in the mountains. We stayed at a lovely B&B called Strawberry Creek. It was very pretty and quaint. On Saturday we took a nice long hike in through the woods and then came back into the small little town and shopped. Martin spoiled me rotten and I purchased a number of clothing items and a beautiful necklace and earrings made by an Apache Princess(!) who was delightful to visit with, a wonderful smelling candle developed by a local shop, some nice lotions made locally from goats' milk, and some old fashioned tin toys (for Andy). Martin bought one of those chainsaw carved bears to take to the office. Then he surprised me with a couples' massage - aaaahhhh. We had Chinese food for dinner and then went back to the B&B. In the morning after breakfast we headed back home, with a quick stop at King Taco to pick up some dinner and a stop at an AT&T store to switch my new phone to my old number. It was a greatly needed break and a really nice birthday trip.

Today, it was back to work as usual. On Friday I'll be down in Anaheim for a conference. School is still happening and I am still, so far, keeping up!

1 comment:

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

Glad you had a great birthday! and glad it was on a week end..but I think that when ever you get away like that is time to celebrate. Martin has always been able to come up with the greatest get aways... (you trained him well ;))jan