The Onkens all headed up to Lake Arrowhead for our every two year turkey get away. We're sorry that Natalie chose not to join us, we certainly missed her. The cabin was delightful and was situated on a running stream that actually ran under the house! We saw racoon tracks in the mud outside our front doors. The weather was cold and a little too windy for me, but although it had rained and apparently hailed on Wednesday, the rest of the week was lovely. We attempted a hike around the lake, but we didn't get very far. We took in the town and did a fair amount of window shopping. The cute bakery for dogs turned out to be a fun little shop and Scooter scored a holiday sweater, which it turned out, he really liked! He is a bigger weather wimp than I am.
On Saturday we went to Wildhaven, a wild animal rehabilitation center, and got to be up close and personal with bears, dear, coyotes, raccoons, bald eagles, golden eagles, owls, falcons and hawks. My personal favorites were the bears. Of course mostly what we did was eat, eat, eat. I really enjoy cooking for the whole family and we had plenty of delicious food. It was a special treat to have Chelsea do some cooking for us as well - apple cinnamon french toast strata for breakfast and rye crusted pork medallions for dinner - YUM.
We played some mean games of Uno, Apples to Apples, Wits and Wagers, and Settlers of Zarahemla. Skyler got to meet his nephew for the first time and we all got plenty of Andrew time.
Now of course it is time to repent of all the food I've eaten but it was worth every bite. Skyler is headed back to Idaho for a few more weeks until it is time to come back again for Christmas. I have the big push on for the next few weeks to finish up a lot of school assignments and then I'll be able to think about Christmas!
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Whenever I feel busy I think of your schedule with family, school, work and church then I don't feel so busy after all. Glad your T-day was grand... now on to Christmas. Seems like a very short season this year. Happy, Happy Holidays! jan
Post a Comment