All too soon school started up again for me with a vengeance. I wish I could claim that the semesters are getting easier, but I find they are just more stress provoking. This semester should result in me producing my formal proposal for the capstone project which will consume the next year of my life. I have to take some type of elective over the summer, but the Fall and following Spring should be entirely devoted to the project. I try to remind myself there is light at the end of the tunnel. I would explain my proposed project to you, but it would probably bore any readers silly, so I won't. At least not at this post.
Martin and I decided that our Christmas gift to ourselves this year was to do a long wished for kitchen remodel. It's exciting but also anxiety producing, especially as the costs involved keep going up. It's always scary to do something like this without knowing for sure if you can trust the contractors, too. We've put money down on a new set of appliances - the GE Cafe line:

And the cabinets have been selected and kitchen designed by the Home Depot designer. We're keeping the same footprint of the kitchen since our floors were redone only about 4 years ago and since there really aren't a lot of options in our small kitchen anyway. The cabinets are from Kraft Maid. The wood is a rustic birch, color praline, and door design "Dillon":

Now that obviously isn't my kitchen, but it's a great photo of the cabinets. We won't be getting the five piece drawer faces though so my drawer style is a bit different that shown. I haven't picked out granite yet, but I'm thinking black with a lot of green in it or very, very dark green. Depends on what I can find. The backsplashes will be tiled and we will be adding under cabinet lights. I haven't quite pictured in my mind what kind of tile I want. I'm a "know it when I see it" kind of person anyway. The nice thing will be that the fridge we bought is cabinet depth and we will have end panels added to our kitchen so that the fridge will appear built in. We are also removing the soffit from the ceiling which will open up the room to make it feel a bit larger and allow for taller cabinets and some nice molding up around the top of the cabinets. Most of all, we are adding pull out shelves and things to help make the blind corner cabinets more accessible. I'm getting too old to keep having to get down on my knees and fish around in the cabinets to find things. Of course all of this is getting much pricier than we initially anticipated, especially when we saw the ridiculous estimate from the cabinet guys for some of the work. We're hoping to find someone who can do some of this work at a better rate.
Today I'm home from work babysitting for Andrew, which is such a pleasure. This will be the last trip out for Jamie and Andrew until the new baby is here. But they will be back out in May to spend the summer with us! Yeah! I hear Andrew stirring from his nap . . .
Andrew was sharing his cheese with Scooter: one for you and one for me, one for you and one for me:






No comments:
Post a Comment