Last Friday was a really terrible day at work - I had so many patients who were not stable, one in fact who died that afternoon, plus a new admission and a couple of discharges - it was so stressful. I didn't sleep well that night which is not unusual for me when I've had a particularly "over-stimulating" work day, so Saturday morning found me tired and not particularly ready to turn on the television and watch conference. After breakfast I actually thought I would lay down and try getting some more sleep. As I laid there, I thought about how I had fallen into a pattern in my life that I sought to be busy all the time; staying busy keeps me from thinking about the things (and loved ones) that worry me. In fact, I think staying busy keeps me from thinking about much of anything at all. The weekends or otherwise "non-productive" hours feel depressing. Irritated at feeling sorry for myself and not able to nap, I turned on the TV to watch conference just as President Uchtdorf walked to the podium to deliver his conference message.
And that message was meant for me as surely as if President Uchtdorf was standing in my home talking directly to me. He talked about the dangers of being too busy and the importance of spending time developing relationships with God, with family, and with yourself. As I listened to him I knew that in my busy-ness I was avoiding myself and not spending enough time working on my relationship with the Lord. More importantly, his message was an incredible reminder that the Lord knows me so very well and knows exactly what I need. I am so grateful for that sweet reminder that He is my Father and loves me.






3 comments:
This is really beautiful, Debi. :)
Miss you.
So very true Debi. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that we can have prophets right in our homes talking to just us. Makes it all so personal. Sounds like you got not only a reminder but a heavenly hug as well. jan
I love you Debi.
Post a Comment