Ken Pike died yesterday. Dad and I got home yesterday afternoon from running errands to a message from Del. I was sad to hear the news. I wonder how Del will do. She's a strong and practical woman, but I know from my own experience with losing my Dad that, even though you think you've done all your grieving for losing the person to Alzheimers, when they actually die, it's still a blow. And for someone who has been caregiving as she has, I imagine it will be doubly hard. The Pikes have always been there as a steadfast part of living in Calabasas and being members of the Calabasas Ward. I have memories of Del coming to bring me a baked chicken when I had a broken ankle and two tiny children at home. I have memories of her being the Primary President when my children were small. Del and I were visiting teaching companions for a long time. I remember Ken just deciding to take my car and fix the brakes on it. I don't know how he knew I needed it or why he decided to do it, but I will never forget that. Simple, down to earth people. I am grateful to have known Ken and grateful for the friendship I have with Del.
I've been getting a bit of quilting done . . . not a whole lot, but some. I have been slowly working on Puppy Love. When I've finished the quilting there will still be some embellishing work and I'm not that good at that. I want to put eyes and a collar tag on Scooter and eyes on the teddy bear as well as some kind of laces or something on the shoe.
So am I the only one posting on this blog? Is anyone actually even reading it? We can't be THAT boring of a family, can we? I'll be glad when Skyler gets home next week to spice things up. I would like us to have a family dinner and celebrate Skyler's birthday. It will probably have to be during the week because I think the weekends are booked up. Suggestions please????
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment