I really loved this GC conference talk. It really applies to me in my work because some people are really nice in the beginning, and sign our contract, but when they return from their trip some they get vicious. We get blamed when their trip doesn't turn out as they planned...even when their problems were not related to the motor home. Luckily, these are the minority.
I've also been involved in personal relationships over the years (not currently, or recently, thank God!) where proviously loving eyes turn mean, even evil.
Couple of quotes touched me, that I want to share for all to ponder...
"We can work, study, laugh and have fun, dance, sing, and enjoy many different experiences. They are a wonderful part of life, but they are not central to why we are here. The opportunity to choose good over evil is precisely why we are here."
"Not one of us would say, "I want to choose evil." We all want to choose the right. However, the choice of choosing good over evil is not always easy, because evil frequently lurks behind smiling eyes. Listen to these warnings: "Take heed...that ye do not judge that which is evil to be of God." (Moroni 7:14) "...Satan desireth to have you" (3Ne18:18) "Satan hath thought to deceive you, that he might overthrow you" (DC50:3)."
"I have known a few young me who began with every intention to stay firm .... but who slipped from the path beacuse they did not see the evil behind eyes that appeared quite harmless."
All this makes me think that Satan, more often than I want to believe, makes evil appear to be good or right. It also makes me think that the definition of evil has more to do with anything that keeps us from the greatest happiness we can have; than things that have to do with obvious misery like murder, drugs, etc.
Do you suppose that Satan would allow, even encourage, us to have a little happiness if it prevents us from having the greatest happiness we can experience?
I'd love everyone to read this talk and ponder it, and give your comments on this blog.
Love,
Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
I think this is why it is so important to develop and use our internal compasses to constantly check our direction. The Spirit is pretty good at whispering when we start to go even slightly astray. We are less good at actually listening to the whisper. Even people, things, experiences that we truly believe are "on the same page" with us can lead us astray so easily and even unintentionally!
Post a Comment