Last weekend in Las Vegas with Oma & Natalie was great. I picked Natalie up about 5:30am Satuday, and we zipped into Oma's complex about 10:30am, no problems. Oma was so happy to see us. There is a new spirit to her welcomes, I can't quite describe it. Maybe it's like I feel when I go there to visit, a comfort and familiarity that only comes when being away from family for a while. I can only imagine what similar reunions in heaven are like. WOW! It's nice to know that I can do for Oma what she did for me for so many years.
The food. Great as ever. Even though my tastebuds are not as sharp as they were when I was young, The familiar tastes and smells kept me hungry even when I was full. Besides the lumpers & croquets (I brought some home to share) Oma made that great chicken in butter with potatoe flakes I love but cannot duplicate. Oma taught Natalie to make cheese balls, which we forgot to bring home but were really good. Nat seems to have a talent for cooking that may one day rival mom's!
I helped Oma solve some Social Security benefits confusion, and all seems to be in order in the new level of benefits she is now getting. She is now getting only about 62% of the benefits she got when Opa was alive. She'll have to budget more, but she can do it without dipping into her savings for everyday expenses.
I also helped her with Dutch socail security & pension problems, but Tante Wil had already done most of the hard work communicating with the Dutch government. I also helped her reduce some of her expenses that could be eliminated, so she could more easily live withiin her budget.
Nat gave exellent advice on getting DPOAs to all Oma's important places: banks, gov agencies, hospitals, doctors, etc.
Also went to Catholic mass early Sunday morning. Oma so loves the feeling of being close to God when she is there. The music and prayers help her to feel that God knows her, and that gives her comfort & strength. I admire that desire she has.
Nat & I spent a lot of time sitting with Oma in her home just talking. She shares so much more about herself and her feelings and fears and hopes than she ever did before. I love getting to know her as a person, rather than just as a parent. I hope i allow my kids also to know me that way. I'm making it a personal goal. I learned a lot more about my dad...things I never knew or suspected. Nothing really bad, but made me realize how much he created an image for the outside world & family to see. And how private and lonely he must have been, even when surrounded by loved family & friends. Lot to think about there. Wonder how much I am like him in that way.
Lot more to talk & think about....not important, just part of being an Onken.
Oh, one thing I noticed. My dad often taught me that I was stronger or better than anger or fear makes me. This weekend Oma taught me to avoid and discard anger, not overcome it. More to think about.
Anyway, we left Sunday about 5:00pm, when boring Indo friends came to visit. Got home safe & sound after dropping Nat at her house, about 10:30pm.
glad to be back. Miss Oma already, only because I know she needs support. But I know she'll turn to prayer more often, and receive more support than I can give her. That's the way it should be.
Love to each of you,
natrockinquitiebisimodeb
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment